In 2003, Paul Messerschmidt’s doctor told him he needed to start walking for his health. His kids, who were 15 and 18 at the time, were supposed to help him get his exercise, but they weren’t.
“I had these babies,” Messerschmidt said of the geese. “I took them down the street to embarrass my kids.
“It worked,” he said with a laugh. “Amanda (his daughter) came home one day and said, ‘People are talking about a fat man walking baby geese down the sidewalk.’”
“It keeps me out of the hospital,” Messerschmidt said of all the walking. He said he suffers from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and chronic pneumonia. When he started walking the geese, he weighed over 430 pounds. Now he is down to 241 pounds.
That first year, Messerschmidt took the geese in a parade, just to see if he could win some prize money. He actually planned on having goose meat at the end of that year. But people took to them and him. More and more people started asking him to bring his geese places. He has taken them to nursing homes, day care centers and schools.
He and his geese have walked 711 miles in six years, traveling to 417 towns for fairs, festivals or parades.
They do get treats during the day and are particularly fond of soda pop. Mountain Dew is their favorite, followed by Pepsi.
“They also like Mike’s Hard Lemonade,” Messerschmidt said with a laugh. “But they don’t get drunk on it. It doesn’t affect them.”
The geese are each dressed in a themed outfit, which changes each day. Monday was a baseball theme, but the geese also have outfits for NASCAR, evening gowns and tuxedos, and cowboys.
The geese are named Crybaby, Wrongway, Flyby, Petey, Little Droops, Mr. Books, George, C.C., Little Frankie, James Dean and Rocks.
- fantasticposingdream reblogged this from billtheradish
- fantasticposingdream likes this
- darknyss reblogged this from 1001-cranes
- helpless-in-sleep likes this
- percivall reblogged this from seraphictune
- chinychinchou reblogged this from c-has-a-blog
- c-has-a-blog reblogged this from gallifreyan-gallimaufry
- ohlookitsangel reblogged this from here-is-tiffany
- here-is-tiffany reblogged this from pandabearasian
- adorkableaiba likes this
- zoudesune reblogged this from incoherentelegy and added:
- incoherentelegy reblogged this from ohnospacey
- ohnospacey reblogged this from seraphictune
- ohnospacey likes this
- pandabearasian reblogged this from thistexturedlullaby
- pandabearasian likes this
- nikiya likes this
- storgero reblogged this from thistexturedlullaby
- thistexturedlullaby reblogged this from ghostdrive
- ghostdrive reblogged this from taykash
- kawaii-catastrophe reblogged this from prof-wright
- prof-wright reblogged this from seraphictune
- seraphictune reblogged this from flyflyawaybird
- ohjimmyjazz reblogged this from jillssmile
- flyflyawaybird reblogged this from treblemirinlens
- flyflyawaybird likes this
- treblemirinlens reblogged this from lemonpaperfingers
- jillssmile reblogged this from hucy
- lemonpaperfingers reblogged this from 1001-cranes
- pbg146 reblogged this from daybyrandomday
- hucy reblogged this from tiedyeandsushi
- tiedyeandsushi reblogged this from daybyrandomday
- daybyrandomday reblogged this from iamthepureblindraven
- iamthepureblindraven reblogged this from dinojay
- foreverstrength reblogged this from impalalalalalalalala
- foreverstrength likes this
- impalalalalalalalala reblogged this from checkyeslex
- lexcubitor reblogged this from dinojay
- unapologeticromantic likes this
- megawattt likes this
- astralazuli reblogged this from snakewife
- katiebugoo likes this
- babyjobo reblogged this from dinojay
- allthingslibrary likes this
- larnbean reblogged this from bottledminx
- intrepidheroine reblogged this from snakewife and added:
- infectedaddictions reblogged this from socially-awkward-platypus
- shoujozanzou reblogged this from elqiao
- livingthirteenthirteen likes this
- elma-elsch reblogged this from socially-awkward-platypus